Monday, January 9, 2017

The Storms Inside

              The human body is composed of 98% water. I am no exception. My head is full of water; constantly churning and beating against my mind as thoughts hit its surface like hail and the currents of my unconsciousness whip up waves from below. Anger boils the seas into a steamy mess, while sorrow beckons rains which raise the water level to the top of my skull and I drown inside. Small sailboats of what I need to get done are sunk and forgotten in the constant storm. Only in the latest night hours do the mists clear and the waters still; my brain an island emerging from the day’s chaos. There I drag the bones of devastated vessels to be mended for the tumult of tomorrow. Some days are more intense than others. A hurricane of family dispute here, an earthquake of self-doubt there. The only consistency of my waking hours is mental confusion and catastrophe.

                Fragile bubbles are formed through my open mouth, many of which pop before they are ever seen or heard. They are crude, rounded by the world’s expectations and gravitational pressures. Perhaps someday my bubbles will be cubes, or have the sharp edges of what I really want to convey; since souls are so hard to penetrate nowadays.
🍬🍬🍬🍬🍬🍬

10 comments:

  1. I relate to this on such a personal level I felt like crying. I feel this everyday and I want to thank you for putting it into words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the first two lines, and the rest was equally amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This appeals to my kind of writing on so many levels and this is truly one of the best things I've read, oh my gosh please don't stop writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could picture a wild sea crashing against the shore

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some seriously amazing imagery in here. I can really see what you're talking about. For flash fiction, I've found that sometimes simplifying your words can help make the message a little more clear, but I definitely think the intense imagery you're describing fits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you compared your mind to a body of water and how it reacts with your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic metaphors and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful piece. I loved all the water imagery and metaphors you used. It was so very true and just so well-written.

    ReplyDelete